Monday, December 28, 2009

Falalalala

Christmas is over. The children and their friends are gone. I am sitting in an empty house, staring at the dry, droopy Christmas tree. Before Christmas, when I was picking it out and putting it up, I felt fondly about it. Now it represents work. I am ready to toss it out on the curb. It's a fire hazard. I no longer look at it with nostalgia.

The decorations must go back in their boxes. I'm finished with them.

There is a sense of sadness that it is over. There is also a sense of "on to the next thing."

I try to forget the fits of anger and disappointment, and I focus on the good, happy times. I will long remember our breakfast together when we laughed and traded stories. That is, after all, what makes Christmas special.

I like that they still get excited about Christmas stockings. They still like to amass a pile of presents and rummage through them with excitement.

Christmas is over. Time to move on.

Valentine's Day anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I enjoy the way you put feelings from brain to paper (or blog).
    This is a nice entry. I know the feeling. I'm happy to at least get some happiness from Christmas these days. It wasn't always that way.The following link takes you to a story from my blog about the gift I remember most in my life. It wasn't the best, it was the worst.

    http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2009/07/stadium-checkers.html

    ReplyDelete