Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Play it again, Sam or Am I living in an alternate universe?

I have been trying for months to get two of my employees promoted. Both are extremely hard working and deserve, more than most, to be promoted. Here's what has happened so far:
  • I was told the policy is that a job description must be created that reflects greater responsibility.
  • I submitted two new descriptions.
  • I was told the positions would be posted and each person would have to apply for their respective position.
  • Others in the company would have the right to apply.
  • I would have to interview others, even though I was not planning to hire them.
I did what I was asked to do and I waited for the positions to be posted.
  • Both positions were cancelled.
  • No one told me they were cancelled.
When I complained, one position was posted. The other one was lost.
  • My first employee applied for her own job.
  • A temp in our area agreed to apply for the position.
  • I interviewed my own employee. The interview consisted of questions about the status of her children.
  • The temp took a permanent job elsewhere (wisely) and canceled on the faux interview.
HR agreed that I didn't have to interview anyone else and the employee is on her way to being promoted, or so they say.

The other position was resurrected, but just before it was about to be posted, it was rejected and canceled by no less than the executive director of HR. The position, she said, did not fit the area. Rewrite it or die.

It just amazes me that anything can get done in this company.

Tomorrow I will rewrite it and resubmit it. Wonder what will happen first? Will it be lost, cancelled, or rejected?

Harrumph. I'm feeling rejected.

No comments:

Post a Comment