Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Old Friends

Out of the blue, a friend of mine who now lives in Hong Kong, called and asked if she could come and visit me. She has lived in Hong Kong for the last 20 years, and I have seen her only a few times in all those years. Prior to leaving for Hong Kong, she and her husband and three children had lived next door to my family and me (husband, three children, and me).

After a long embrace, the stories began. A story about a mother for whom she provided care for years. A story about a daughter who married without telling her parents.

We traded frustrations and joys. We laughed about our mistakes. We cried about our pain. We reminisced about times gone by.

We visited the old neighborhood and took pictures in front of our old homes.

We embraced again and she went on her way...back to Hong Kong.

It was as if we had never been apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment